To ease the economic toll of coronavirus disease 2019, the federal government will distribute payments to eligible adults before the end of April. The Internal Revenue Service will use recent tax returns to calculate eligibility and deposit money directly into recipients’ bank accounts.
If 2019 is the first year you will be filing taxes, you may want to submit your return now to avoid a delay in receiving your coronavirus impact payment.
Military OneSource MilTax is a free service that can help you file your 2019 taxes quickly and check your 2018 information if you used the service in the past.
About the payments
The Internal Revenue Service will use your 2019 or 2018 tax return to determine whether you are eligible for a coronavirus economic impact payment. The IRS will mail checks to those who did not list a direct deposit bank account on their tax returns.
For those who don’t normally file a tax return, the IRS and Treasury Department created a tool called the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info to help you quickly register for your Economic Impact Payment.
The IRS extended the 2019 tax filing deadline to July 15, 2020. To receive your payment quickly:
- File your 2019 taxes now and include your direct deposit information on your return.
- Check that the direct deposit information on your 2018 tax return is correct if you haven’t filed your 2019 return.
- Use the upcoming web portal to provide your banking information to the IRS; check Coronavirus Tax Relief to learn when the portal is available.
For details about the coronavirus impact payments, visit the Internal Revenue Service’s economic impact payments page.
How Military OneSource MilTax Can Help
Military OneSource MilTax is a 100% free tax service for the military community that can help you file your 2019 taxes now. It includes personalized support from tax consultants, easy-to-use tax preparation and e-filing software, and current information about filing taxes in the military.
If you used MilTax last year, log into the software to check your direct deposit information on your 2018 tax return.
If you have questions about the coronavirus economic impact payments or about your finances in general, a Military OneSource financial counselor can help. Call Military OneSource at 800-342-9647. See OCONUS calling options if you are overseas.
Stay up to date on all the latest information on COVID-19. For Department of Defense updates for the military community regarding the virus that causes COVID-19, view the following sites:
- Visit Defense.gov.
- Follow Military OneSource’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram platforms.
- Continue to visit the Coronavirus Information for Our Military Community page for updates.
- Check Move.mil for PCS-related updates.